Parenting is the most rewarding yet hardest job we will ever have. We are in charge of shaping and molding our children to become well-adjusted adults which can be daunting! As adults, we have many responsibilities and multiple roles- mom, dad, wife, husband, sister, brother, daughter, son, friend and co-worker to name a few. As a clinician helping families navigate through parenting ups and downs, I have read many books on parenting approaches. I do not subscribe to a one type fits all parents model. Each family is unique and must figure out what works for them.
Here are some tips that each family can mold to fit their lifestyle:
- Take care of yourself and your relationship
- Be aware in daily life
- Play and spend quality time with your children
- Create structure and routine but also at times be flexible
- Consistency- If you say something follow through
- Communicate with significant other and children
- Forgive yourself and others…there is no perfect parent!